In honor of National Poetry Month (every April), the Star is sponsoring a poetry contest.
Entrants will receive 1st, 2nd or 3rd place certificates, determined by Star student staff member judges. Poets receiving First Place designation will have their work published in the April Steinmetz Star.
Send your best piece to us by Friday, March 31: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anyone is welcome to write a poem. If you want to write an excellent poem, consider our criteria for excellence, adapted from Chaparral Poets,
- Meaningful content
- Clear topic
- Emotional impact
- Natural language
- Original personal style
- Clarity of author’s voice
- Avoidance of clichés and trite phrases
- Vivid description
- Figurative language — may include use of metaphor, simile, personification, allusion, and other poetic devices appropriate to the subject.
- Precise word choice
- Specific rather than general vocabulary
- Concise, omitting unnecessary words and phrases
- Effective sound patterns. Use of some form of
- Rhyme, alliteration, assonance, other unforced devices
- Metrical pattern
- Line length pattern
- Repetitive form
- Excellent mechanics
- Free of typos
- Correct spelling
- Punctuation that aids the reader